Teeth whitening remains one of the most economical ways to enhance your smile.
Why did your teeth change color?
- Coffee, tea and red wine consumption can do it. Color pigments in these liquids attach to the white, enamel part of your teeth.
- Tobacco use –the tar and nicotine can turn into a yellowish, staining material.
- Age-over time the outer layer (enamel) gets thinner and shows more of the yellowish dentin later.
- Trauma-if you’ve been hit in the mouth your teeth may darken due to more dentin (which is yellow) being made by the teeth.
- Medications –some antihistamines, high blood pressure and antipsychotics may darken your teeth. Chemotherapy and head and neck radiation can also darken teeth.
Whitening does not help all discolored teeth. That is why it’s important to have a consultation with Dr. Hart first so that your goals can be properly met.