Preventive Dental Care in Richmond, Virginia
Dental preventive care is performed to achieve and maintain optimum oral health.
This may include any and all of the following:
- Routine cleanings-to removed plaque and calculus (tartar).
- Dental examinations-evaluating not only your teeth and gums but your entire oral cavity.
- Recommended x-rays-either cavity detecting or a digital panoramic radiograph.
- Deep scaling and root planing-using topical or local anesthesia to remove calculus (tartar) that is deep under your gums.
- Application of fluoride varnish-this protects teeth from getting cavities and in the treatment of hypersensitivity. Fluoride varnish is particularly important in primary or baby teeth. Fluoride varnish can decrease your chance of getting cavities by up to 30% for 4 months.
- Vel-Scope is used to detect oral cancer. It is a special light that can highlight suspicious areas that are not normally visible using normal lighting.
- Oral-CDx-this is a brush biopsy that is sent to the laboratory to evaluate the biopsy under a microscope.
- Prescription strength fluoride toothpaste, such as Clin-Pro 5000 may be recommended for the prevention and control of dental cavities.
- Perio Protect provides a comfortable and effective non-surgical way to help heal and protect your gum tissue It may be needed for advanced periodontal problems.
- Oral hygiene instructions are given so that you can maintain your oral health at home.
- Dr. Hart recommends an electric toothbrush, such as the Oral-B Vitality toothbrush, to thoroughly and effectively clean your teeth.
- The WaterPik –water flosser is used before brushing to remove plaque and bacteria below your gum line.
Acid erosion caused by acidic food and drinks may also be discussed. Sports drink-Gatorade, soda-especially Diet Mountain Dew,tea, fruits are all culprits of acid erosion which leads to softer tooth enamel. This softer enamel is more easily worn away. Then as your enamel becomes thinner, teeth are less white, weaker and more sensitive to hot and cold foods.