- Sleep apnea is the #1 identifiable (and treatable) cause of high blood pressure or hypertension, according to the Joint National Committee on High Blood Pressure.
- Sleep apnea is a major cause of obesity.
- Women suffering from polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) have up to a thirty times greater risk of having sleep apnea.
- There are more motor vehicle accidents caused by sleep disorders than there are from alcohol and drugs combined.
A sleep study is needed to diagnose a sleep disorder. Dr. Hart refers her patients to a Board Certified Sleep Specialists.
Mandibular advancement devices (MAD) are dental devices used to maintain your airway. The Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine recommends a MAD for mild to moderate sleep apnea due to compliance. Most people are able to get used to a MAD for their sleep apnea (90%) versus only 30 % of patients can tolerate a C-PAP to maintain their airway.
Answer the questions below to find out if you might be at risk of having OSA
Epworth Sleepiness Scale
1 slight chance of dozing
2 moderate chance of dozing
3 high chance of dozingA score of 10 or greater indicates a possible sleep disorder.
- sitting and reading
- watching TV
- sitting inactive in a public place (i.e. theater or a meeting)
- as a passenger in a car for an hour without a break
- lying down to rest in the afternoon when circumstances permit
- sitting and talking to someone
- sitting quietly after a lunch without alcohol
- in a car , while stopping for a few minutes in traffic
Please share your self-assessment of Epworth Sleepiness scale with Dr. Hart